1. Asian people didn't ask Buzzfeed to make this video (of which I'm pretty sure they have multiple other articles and videos of already and are just trying to make more money) so don't accuse us of acting all pissed over small things.
2. No, asking what ethnicity we are isn't an offensive question. It's when you're a complete stranger, don't even say hi, and you ask with buggy ass eyes and I can tell you're only asking to entertain yourself on a guessing game that it becomes offensive. If you're interested in my ethnicity, cool. If you want a guessing game and start rattling off stereotypical questions that you could easily google or randomly ask how to say something in Chinese, you can begin to fuck off.
3. Interrupting my answer half way and going "ching chong" is indeed offensive.
4. Have I ever eaten dog? Do African people eat ants and monkey? Do Americans eat McDonald's and Starbucks for every meal? Do British people drink tea and eat crumpets? Again, it's how it's asked. If you're genuinely interested in knowing if I've personally tried dog because you're familiar with my culture and want to know more, cool. If you know absolutely nothing and are just asking based on a stereotype you heard so you can have your little bit of entertainment off me, then you can leave.
5. Saying my English is really good is perhaps not directly offensive. But it's condescending and just plain ignorant and annoying. Wow you were born in America and English is your first language?? What, were you born in Mississippi in 1930? Get with it.
6. Saying we look like insert the one or two Asian celebrities people know OK, some of us do look like a given celeb, but so do people of other races. But it's when you say that to someone who looks nothing like that celeb is when it gets annoying, or offensive, because it shows you think we all look alike. Hey, maybe you really can't tell the difference. Oh wait, but somehow you manage to not mix up the names of your Asian friends. And even if you really can't tell, learn if you're one of those people and stop asking.
7. Honestly a lot of these are just how it's asked. In my experience, most people ask in an offensive way where they're clearly just trying to entertain themselves and entertain the idea of certain stereotypes applying to real people. I've only met 1 person who genuinely was interested, not just some idiot blabbering with a "special" eye toward Asian people.
BONUS: One time I was on vacation (my family and I are Korean) in Cancun. We were eating in a restaurant and some old white guy comes up to us with that oh so familiar glazed-eye, self-entertaining smile and starts speaking to us in Chinese out of nowhere. Wow you're white and you can speak a foreign language? Wow we're Asian and so you can't communicate to us in English even though we've been speaking English next to your table the entire time? What are you trying to say? What are you trying to prove? Or are you just entertaining yourself? Do you see me speaking Spanish to all the Latino waiters in the restaurant? If you can't see how that's offensive, it's just obnoxious and annoying. At least introduce yourself and find out if we even speak Chinese. Don't interrupt our dinner to say something incomprehensible to us. It's like all common social etiquette goes out the window under the guise of "we're just asking"
So in sum:
No, it's not offensive. It's how you ask. And even if it's not offensive, it can be rude, obnoxious, or annoying.
Успейте зарегистрироваться на разговорный летний интенсив с 25% скидкой!
Хотите прокачать свои разговорные навыки за лето? Не упустите свой шанс пройти программу обучения с участием носителей английского языка. Обучение проводится онлайн (Skype, Google Hangouts и т.д.) поэтому вы сможете заниматься и в отпуске и дома и на работе, везде, где есть Интернет. Скидка 25% сохраняется на все три месяца вашего обучения! Знакомство с программой летнего интенсива проводится БЕСПЛАТНО в форме трехдневного мини-тренинга и представляет собой тест-драйв, состоящий из 3 полноценных уроков по 1 часу каждый день. Чтобы записаться на бесплатный тест-драйв, пожалуйста, перейдите по этой ссылке: ЗАПИСАТЬСЯ НА БЕСПЛАТНЫЙ ТЕСТ-ДРАЙВ
P.S. Вышивка на картинке называется Pretty Little London и продается на Etsy, вот ссылка: https://goo.gl/CW46GL P.P.S. Кстати, если вы уже занимаетесь торговлей в сети Интернет и заинтересованы в продаже своих товаров и услуг или в продвижении своего бизнеса за пределами России и СНГ…